Suggested Steps for Interactive Key:
- Select about three characteristics that you are fairly sure of.
Suggestions: (need not follow these, but may be more efficient if you do)
- Choose only one characteristic from a given group (e.g. growth form)
- Select "Yes" for characteristics that the specimen DOES have, rather than "No" for characteristics that it DOESN'T have
- Click Search button
- Choose one of three strategies:
- If Score for the top choice is twice that of the next best choice AND Fit is larger than 0.7, you probably have the right answer. Check it by clicking on the species name and compare with the photos and description.
- If Fit is 0 or near 0, your characteristics are contradictory. Go back and revise one or more that are possibly wrong.
- If somewhere in between, select two more characteristics and click Search (back to step 2). The shortest path to success is to choose characteristics with a red asterisk or two (*or**).
- If the result list seems too wide, you can compare two or more species by checking them and clicking on 'Compare'. This will show you the most different characteristics between those specific species.
- If your results still seem weird, please help us by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org with feedback. Thank you!
- For best results, use this key with the book "Macrolichens of the Pacific Northwest" (McCune & Gelser).
- Chemical tests are described in the above book.